How do you organize your closet? Are you super Type A about it or more go with the flow? Since I work from my closet, a.k.a. The Cloffice, I’ve noticed that when my closet is organized, I’m calmer, less frazzled and can focus so much better. So when Sole Society reached out about collaborating on a closet organization post, I was in. Mostly because my closet had recently become a tornado and it was the kick in the pants I needed to heed my own advice. Plus, I’ve been a Sole Society fan since they first launched. Their shoes and bags have held up so well and the prices are so good, especially for the quality (everything in this post from SS is under $90!). Read on for my Top 10 Tips for Organizing Your Closet.
5 Tips on How To Organize Clothes:
1. Organize by category: First, I put all pants together, all dresses together, all skirts together, all tops together, all coats together.
2. Organize by day or evening wear: Second, I split up each category by day or evening. Day wear in one section, evening wear/fancy things I wear less often in another category. I put the things I wear less often, which for me is evening wear, towards the back of the closet, leaving what I wear most frequently at the front, within easy sight and reach.
3. Organize by color: Third, I organize those categories by color, from lightest to darkest (all white tops together, all pink tops together, all blue tops together, etc.).
4. Organize by sleeve length: Then, if you’re super Type A, you can then categorize by sleeve length. For instance, I put sleeveless green dresses first, then short-sleeve green dresses next, followed by long-sleeved green dresses.
5. Organize by hem length: Finally, if you’re Type A+, within that, I put the shortest hem-lengths first, longest hem-lengths last.
5 More Tips & Tricks for an Organized Closet:
1. Have a separate rack (or a part at the front of your closet) where you can pull outfits for the week or the even just the next day.
2. I try to follow Marie Kondo’s advice and get rid of anything that doesn’t spark joy. Your gut knows the answer instantly. If you never wear it, there’s a reason, and that normally doesn’t change as time goes by. And, I feel like the more open physical space (negative space) we have, the more mental clarity we have. Just like you feel better right after your house is cleaned.
3. Use all the same hangers. My favorites are the slim velvet hangers. I’m slowly replacing wooden ones with all velvet, so it’s uniform.
4. When organizing your shoes, place one shoe in one direction, and its counterpart in the opposite. It adds more space.
5. Finally, take inspiration from your favorite boutiques and curate your closet. If you have small tables and dressers in your room, style a bag or two on top of them (or even shoes). It creates a more boutique-like experience and reminds you of some of the pretty, new pieces you have.
That’s how I do it! Now, I’d love to know: Do you have any tips for organizing your closet?
Let me know in the comments!
SHOP THE POST:
I’m wearing: Sole Society Katarina block heels c/o | Sail to Sable tunic c/o | Mott & Bow jeans c/o
Also pictured: Katarina block heels in taupe, leopard, ombre blue | River ankle booties in ink |Luella mules in cloud blue | Mick weekender duffel in pink palm print | Candice oversize travel tote in taupe c/o Sole Society
PHOTOS BY FRED MOSER
Thank you to Sole Society for partnering on this post!
Let’s be friends! Sign up for our VIP list here to be the first to hear updates:
Keep in touch!
7 Trendy Fourth of July Outfits
Looking for trendy Fourth of July outfits? Check out a roundup of 7 trendy Fourth of July outfits so you can don your red, white and blue outfits in style!read more
Fourth of July Outfit Ideas
Looking for classic Americana Fourth of July outfit ideas? Check these out and let me know your favorite!read more
La Vie Style House Palm Leaf Kimon...
Hooray, you can finally buy this La Vie Style House Palm Leaf caftan online! See how I styled the kimono version.read more
Best Vintage Style Luggage + a 15%...
Looking for the best vintage style luggage? I've found it! Plus, a promo code for 15% off!read more
10 Yellow Dresses That Add Sunshin...
Looking for cute yellow dresses? I've rounded up 10 yellow dresses for women that feel like sunshine and glamour, from caftans and robes to breezy dresses.read more
I get so grumpy when my house is disorganized. Gotta have organization. I would also be much happier in life if my closet was filled with Sole Society too!
That’s so funny because I notice my mood takes a turn for the worse too when things are a mess. I’m not naturally organized, but when I am, I am so much happier. And yes, those Sole Society shoes + bags also help life the spirits. 🙂
Wow, what a closet!! I want shelves like that for my shoes!!!
Thanks so much! It’s definitely a dream come true to have a closet like this, especially when I think back to how I came into this world and that my first “room” was a closet! Full-circle moment. 🙂
Looks great…thanks for the tips.
Wish I had your wardrobe, shoes and closet!!!
Hope the tips were helpful! I’ll be re-reading them myself to keep up with staying organized. 🙂