I’ve shared the reveal of our kitchen makeover designed by Kelli Ellis here, but today, in partnership with Thermador’s #sharetheexceptional campaign, I want to share how I styled our kitchen after the show house. Here are 12 tips on how to style your kitchen so that it’s not only functional but exceptionally beautiful as well!
As I’ve mentioned before, when doing a show house, some things stay, some things go. We were so lucky of course that all the major elements stayed: the amazing Thermador appliances, Eggersmann cabinetry, the Zodiaq quartz countertops.
But when it came to the non-permanent fixtures, i.e. art and accessories, most pieces didn’t stay. What’s great about that is it allowed me to add those personalized touches that make a space feel more like a home — our home.
They’re staples for styling your kitchen too.
Here are 12 Tips for Styling Your Kitchen:
1. A Color Story: Creating a color story or color palette will help your kitchen feel cohesive and polished. Against a backdrop of white and marble, blush and gold were my main colors, which you can see in the pink pot and pink tea kettle, pink glassware, and art.
2. Center of Attention: Having a centerpiece as a focal point helps ground the space. My favorite way to do this is to add a vase filled with fresh flowers to the center island. Next to this, I added a cutting board in the shape of California and topped it with grapes. Very convenient for healthy snacking or when guests pop by! Two-level marble servers were the perfect place to add height — and a pineapple and some white pumpkins.
3. Tray Chic: Corral items such as special glassware onto pretty trays. I also used a marble cheese board to coral salt, a pepper grinder and olive oill bottle. If everything has a place or home, it’s much easier to keep your kitchen tidy too, plus groupings look much more intentional when gathered onto trays.
4. What a Crock: Speaking of corralling objects, a crock next to the stove keeps cooking utensils within easy reach. Bonus points for when they’re as pretty as they are functional. I couldn’t resist filling this marble crock with white-and-golden utensils. I also have a collection of bamboo utensils that I keep in another utensil holder. I’ve spent my entire adult life always trying to fit too much into one crock. I have no idea why I never thought to have more than one. Trust me on this. Life-changing.
5. Cut It Out: Cutting boards aren’t only functional, they can be beautiful too. The different shapes and materials make for great decor. Whether layered together or propped behind your stove, they’ll provide both decoration as well as be within easy reach for when you need to chop chop or serve up something pretty. Wooden boards add a nice organic touch too.
6. Plant One On: Nothing adds life to a room quite like plants. And in no room do plants come in handy more than in the kitchen, especially when they’re edible. I like to keep fresh basil and cilantro on my windowsill. While one day I’ll actually get around to planting some in a pot, for now I keep fresh herbs in pretty glasses.
7. Raise the Bar: If you have an extra countertop, creating your own bar isn’t only practical for entertaining, but also a good opportunity to display your favorite glassware and barware. Above our Thermador wine fridge (that is currently full of rosé, sparkling water, and almond milk because…California) I added two trays — one that holds an ice bucket and a bowl of lemons, another that holds some pretty pink glassware. I also added pineapple tumblers and pretty platters. It’s also a good time to break out the nice cocktail napkins. Instead of hiding away all the pretty things most of the year, why not actually see them and, dare I say, use them?
8. Fresh & Fruity: Fresh produce is the perfect accessory in the kitchen. It adds color and an organic element — and bonus that you can eat it too! I love adding lemons to a marble fruit bowl, a pineapple for height, and grapes on a cutting board for nibbling.
9. The Art of Styling: No room is complete without art, including in the kitchen. Most of ours is over the bar area, including a collection of framed prints found on Etsy over the years and my new favorite Blush print by Team Woodnote. Kelly Ellis has also added sputniks to the wall, which adds a more dimensional touch. If you have open shelving, that’s also a great opportunity to lean small pieces of art.
10. Take a Stand: If you want to feel like a real grown-up #adulting, a cookbook stand will do the trick. Why have I never had one before? It not only makes your kitchen looked more polished, but is super convenient for referencing recipes.
11. Pot Shot: Continuing my color story, I added a pink pot and pink tea kettle to the stove. Both pieces are so pretty I like to keep them out at all times, even if I’m not brewing up anything. Don’t hesitate to invest in that one piece you love — perhaps a Le Creuset — especially if you’ll be looking at it on the daily for years to come.
12. You, Me & Tea Towels Please: A tea towel or dish towel draped near the stove and sink are the finishing touch. I think of them as usable art and a fun way to add pattern. Since I love all things lemon, I couldn’t resist this lemon kitchen towel.
With the holidays and entertaining season upon us, I hope this provided some inspiring ideas!
Do you have any fun kitchen styling tips?
I’d love to see them!
You can #sharetheexceptional here. I look forward to seeing your ideas!
And, be on the lookout for our kitchen in an upcoming issue of Traditional Home magazine!
p.s. If you’re in the market for new appliances, we have absolutely loved our Thermador range, refrigerator, dishwashers and wine fridge. They’ve made cooking, entertaining and clean-up SO much more enjoyable, plus they look and work great too. Appliance shopping can be super intimidating and we’ve had many different brands before, and Thermador is by far the best we’ve ever had.
INTERIOR DESIGN: Kelli Ellis
STYLING: Kelly Golightly
PHOTOGRAPHY: Fred Moser
SHOP THE POST:
Cabinets: Eggersman / Appliances: Thermador via Ferguson / Custom Hood: Modern-Aire Ventilating / Countertops: DuPont Zodiaq quartz ‘Zodiac London Fog’ via Willis / Carrara Marble Sink: Stone Forest ‘New Haven Farmhouse Sink‘ via Ferguson / Faucets + Pot Filler: DXV via Ferguson / Undercounter Lighting + Switches: Legrand / Chandelier: Currey & Company 9515 ‘Shelly 6-Light Chandelier’ via The Mine (sold out but same one here) / Backsplash: Kelli Ellis Collection ‘Alexa’ from Tilebar / Hardware: Emtek / Flooring: Avalon Classic Polished Marble via Country Floors / Paint: Dunn Edwards Whisper white
California cutting board / Pinapple-shaped marble board / Teak paddle board / Duo inlay cheese board / Pig cutting board / Polka dot pepper grinder / Marble fruit bowl / Oven mitt / Salt bowls / Marble servers / White and gold utensils / Marble crock utensil holder / Olive oil bottle / Pink tea kettle / Cookbook stand / Cookbook / Pink pot / Gold peeler / Polka dot vase / Bar stools / Gold flatware
Pink trays / Pink glasses / Gold cocktail shaker / Similar ice bucket / Gold tongs / Gold pineapple tumblers / Speckled platter / Pink platter / Speckled plate / Speckled canapé plate / Team Woodnote ‘Blush’ print / Holla print / Pink Blendo glasses / Purple Blendo glasses / Similar white lacquer tray
Sweater / Similiar skirt (exact skirt in sapphire + more options here) / Shoes / Earrings / Apron
Sign up for our VIP list here to be the first to hear updates:
Keep in touch!
La Vie Style House Palm Leaf Kimon...
Hooray, you can finally buy this La Vie Style House Palm Leaf caftan online! See how I styled the kimono version.read more
Best Vintage Style Luggage + a 15%...
Looking for the best vintage style luggage? I've found it! Plus, a promo code for 15% off!read more
10 Yellow Dresses That Add Sunshin...
Looking for cute yellow dresses? I've rounded up 10 yellow dresses for women that feel like sunshine and glamour, from caftans and robes to breezy dresses.read more
My Shopbop Sale Fashion & Dec...
Wondering what to buy at the Shopbop sale? Here are my Shopbop Sale Fashion & Decor Favorites and what I'm buying!read more
Sharing Friday Favorites, including the cutest dog sweater ever, caftans under $100, and the new Iris Apfel rug I'm buying!read more
I love your kitchen…it is gorgeous!!! (So are you)
That’s so sweet of you to say!